Thursday, May 31, 2012

My Take on the Debate

This is not a current photo! It was taken a year ago this time when Lydia's birth was on the horizon. All the recent debate in the media about Attachment Parenting Techniques has made me think a lot about our style of parenting. I am thankful that this debate is taking place now rather than a year ago. At that time, John and I did not know about Attachment Parenting. Had we known, it would have put pressure on us to parent in a particular way. Come to think of it, we have not used any of the techniques recommended by Dr. Sears. I tried breastfeeding but it did not work out for me. I wore Lydia sometimes in her baby carrier on dog walks but when inside we fostered Lydia being happy on her own. Lastly, we never slept with Lydia in the bed. Many people warned that this was unsafe and a difficult habit to break. I must say though that Lydia seems to be thriving and happy. She prefers playing and cuddling with John and I, but she can be on her own too. We all get decent sleep at night. Most importantly, Lydia is healthy. Do I think Attachment Parenting is for us? Nope. Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment